You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-29 15:33:27

Zod-

State of DMC

I fired up DMC due to extreme boredom and saw mfrx's servers are still up. Inspired by that, I somehow managed to find these forums.

Do people still play DMC? Seems that some really oldschool faces have been posting here...

#2 2012-08-15 19:29:34

Tayste
Website

Re: State of DMC

Hey Zod. I haven't played for years myself but thinking of having a look soon, since I've been having varying levels of satisfaction with modern more popular games. I don't have high expectations though, considering the reason I let DMC go in the first place was because it became too quiet. I feel like the game was active enough to play regularly until around late 2008. I remember early 2009 feeling very disappointed and that's about when I moved on.

Last edited by Tayste (2012-08-15 19:30:50)

[pFc]Tayste

#3 2012-08-19 18:09:46

Zod-

Hi Tayste smile

Problem for me with the new games has been the heavy casualization trend that has been going on for quite a long time now. The new fps:es feel like shit after used to perfect fluidlike movement of dmc/qw/cpma, not to talk about weapons which seem to be the generic modern warfare crap in every single game. Tribes ascend was best new fps for a long time in my opinion, but still it didn't hook me as dmc/qw did.

Spent a lot of time trying different MMO:s, some of which were pretty awesome for a while. Best of the lot was EVE-Online (2006-), which i actively small-gang pvp:ed for few years, until it lost the risk/reward feeling for me that kept me hooked. Reward from pvp decreased as nearly everything decreased in value by a huge margin and in-game currency got too easy to get, making so called "hardcore PVP game" diminish in my opinion. Later, I converted most of my assets to a nice sum of IRL money and quit the game, keeping a stockpile of investments hoping that the game will get better someday.

WoW was fun at vanilla times, but I quit due several reasons in early 2006. Tried it again for some months in 2011, didn't like it much.

It seems that time of "oldschool" hardcore FPS:es and MMO:s is over, since they cant just attract enough new players anymore. Most games nowadays seem just to be the general f2p casualized crap that makes millions by selling funny hats or pay-to-win stuff. DayZ gave me some hope by being pretty hardcore game and selling well, while being very unfinished and buggy mod.

All I can say, I miss the old DMC/QW from FPS genre, and old UO/EVE-online style games from the MMO genre.

- Just me swimming in the endless sea of boredom of the new generation of games.

Last edited by Zod- (2012-08-19 18:10:25)

#4 2012-08-19 20:26:51

Nosl

Hello
what can i say, Word Zod.
Still searching for a new good fps. I have lost my interest in D3 and atm filling my freetime with HoN yet again.

#5 2012-08-20 13:02:31

Zod-

D3 was fun for a while, but the game design had some critical mistakes that made it go boring really quick. There was nothing really to do after beating inferno diablo in softcore (which took me 6 days after launch) and hardcore was nearly impossible to play past act2 inf due to instagib soul lashers and other stupidly designed monsters. Patch helped this a bit, but the game had already got boring due to horrible itemization and economy destroyed by mass bot infestation. Next patch (1.0.4) seems to fix some of the problems, but the damage has already been done and some of the problems are rooted too deep to fix.

For long time d2 player d3 was a huge disappointment, mainly due no pvp, stupid itemization, stupid level cap and the game being effectively single player grind due to monsters retarded scaling in co-op.

For the moba genre, I have played dota, dota2, hon and some lol. Lol seems to be the pinnacle of "casualized f2p hat selling game", hon was really good but took a quick downfall after going f2p and s2 started to release stupid heros (pre-nerf silhu, midas, gemini, ra for pubs, etc) and I quit it after MMR compression. Dota2 seems to be best of the lot imo, but I just can't find the effort of grinding through the low-rating hell again to get decent games.

#6 2012-08-21 20:45:34

Tayste
Website

I too enjoyed D3 for a while. Beat inferno diablo solo with my first character wizard. But then what? There's no pvp. Farm gear and gold, for what? Before they nerfed act 2 and made ilvl 63 drop in act 1 and 2 I was farming act 3 siegebreaker to sell items for IRL money. But after the patch ilvl 63 has no value act 2 is so easy that anyone can do it and you get more ilvl 63 drops farming act 1 than anything else even though the drop rate is lower because its just so fast to clear it.

WoW vanilla was cool I quit summer 2006 because Blizzard annoyed me, long story. Started WoW up again with a new account end of 2010 and played through cata, capping my warrior main, a rogue and priest and starting my own guild called Azure Guard. I built it from scratch and it became a second job trying to build a guild in a well established game when the guilds now have levels to attract players. Why join a lvl 1 guild when you can join a lvl 25 guild? It sucked. But I managed to build up a team and I raid led through tier 11, 12 and 13. I lost a few guys who left for 25m raid teams and stopped playing the game, and the highlight was after finding the players for a new 10m team, we cleared dragon soul in 2 weeks. I did pvp and pve but when I finished all the pve content it wasn't fun to keep doing the same raids, so I focussed entirely on pvp. I play for fun sometimes, not always to win, but the class imbalance just became too much. You would understand if you played warrior and get kited by a mage or rogue again. I have both high hopes and low expectations for MoP. I doubt I will get it straight away if at all.

Currently playing SSX on playstation 3.... words cannot do this snowboarding game justice. I just cannot put it down! Highly recommend it. Starcraft 2 still playing. Recently DMC (had a few games with oRe past couple weeks) and Half-Life Deathmatch (it's still active). I've never played LoL or HoN but people keep telling me to, especially LoL.

Hey Nosl, I haven't played any new fps game since Half-Life 2! But I am going to check out a few I was recommended - Dystopia (free on steam, source engine) recommended by WangMauler, Sauerbraten (free) recommended by oRe and now Tribes: Ascend (steam) recommended, sort of, by Zod here. Worth a look id say, my brother also recommended it smile

Last edited by Tayste (2012-08-22 09:01:43)

[pFc]Tayste

#7 2012-08-23 15:01:32

Nosl

Hello Tayste!
i have been playing som Tribes: Ascend but it was some months ago, might take it back. The problem is that Im more off an arena player then CTF witch is Tribes strong side. Hmm i will check the game you was recommmended

Board footer