You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-21 00:15:04

[pFc]Nextgen
Website

DMC : Source BETA is open

Deathmatch classic : Source BETA is open.

Here I test DMC: Source, a little disappointing because there are no bunny jump there is a small gravity instead. Ammunition fired by each weapon are faithful to DMC cons. The menu is completely null, but you'll see how funny all the same. There is a map test dmc_dm4. textures are well integrated and recalls the original DMC.

We will see later, and I especially hope to see the DMQ with a bunny jump ..

thebadplace0000.jpg

snapshot0000sy.jpg

Last edited by [pFc]Nextgen (2011-01-21 00:20:36)

#2 2011-01-21 01:32:50

OG_CaRboN

Re: DMC : Source BETA is open

I still can't figure out if it's a troll / joke or not... pretty sad though.

meep

#3 2011-01-21 11:05:24

mfrx

I shouldn't be shocked but yes, they are idiots. 

http://www.dmcsource.hlmods.com/showthr … 37&pid=332

Bunny works fine for him - ahahahahahaha

#4 2011-01-22 06:59:01

OG_PunisheR
Website

no bunny?  why play

#5 2011-01-22 08:23:05

OG_TriX-RaBBiT

hope that gets finished soon!

#6 2011-01-22 11:46:25

eejot

haha, looks like they had the interior designers in. soft lightting / pin stripe wall paper / black marble stairs, Laurence Lewelyn Bowen would be proud big_smile

AKA -=[BaF]edge=- Dont be fooled by my Burger King crown, I is proper Royalty me !!

#7 2011-01-22 16:00:34

OG_Fireball

Altough this mod might have eye candy I do not think they are going to work on any physics for bunny or expand on the compatition modes of DMQ. This mode is kind of like their quote about the shaft "-Removed the SHAFT since it was buggy and useless."

#8 2011-01-23 08:37:45

PaRaSiTe

I was so interested in this mod after I learned about it that I threw together a Web page to track all of its progress in real-time (but I never told anyone about it).  The page brings in posts from their community page, forum, moddb, and actual development builds amongst some other stuff.  http://m3dr.com/DMCSource/  Again I didn't tell them about this page because I'm not sure if they want people accessing the source code etc that they're working on, but the code is publicly available on Google Code.

I'm just afraid they don't have the coding prowess to implement proper Quake/DMQ physics, but I'll still hold out hope.

Last edited by PaRaSiTe (2011-01-23 08:42:39)

#9 2011-01-23 12:41:14

[pFc]Nextgen
Website

But even if they not develop the DMQ, nothing prevents us to create over-coded as for DMC Pro 1 and 2, DMQ 1, 2 and 3 now. You think not?

#10 2011-01-23 14:29:51

mfrx

Wow, hey para!  Good job on that.  Going to have a look at how their code compares to my top secret project.

Nextgen, that would be doubtful - I think they are just doing HL2DM with some different guns TBH.  I did post a bug report - they do not seem to value my opinion.  Now without wanting to make my head get even bigger, you would have thought that if they have played the game for a few years, or just looked at the DMQ site, they would know my name.  The bulk of code is actually in DMQ - the code for DMC is quite a small percentage.

Anyway, enough jibbering.

#11 2011-01-23 17:19:12

PaRaSiTe

Hey mfrx!  I think you'll be sorrily disappointed with their code... From what I can tell, they've barely done anything to it short of changing a few lines and pulling in generic weapon templates.  The lead developer of the mod is 14-15 years old; I pointed them towards DMQ originally but they didn't really say anything about it.  I don't know if they've ever played DMQ (or perhaps even Quake) so they aren't aware how crucial proper physics are in it.

I like that you have a top secret project going! Also, its great to see many of the classic DMC players here (thank you Pun for pointing me here).

#12 2011-01-23 19:16:25

OG_CaRboN

PaRaSiTe wrote:

The lead developer of the mod is 14-15 years old

I don't know if they've ever played DMQ (or perhaps even Quake) so they aren't aware how crucial proper physics are in it.

Okay.

meep

#13 2011-01-23 19:31:27

OG_TriX-RaBBiT

lol mfrx, just steal their models if they are good. then finish up your top secret project....  It really wasnt all that far off being done some long time ago, it just lacked proper models. and game modes.

#14 2011-01-23 22:15:09

dirk

who did the graphics in dm4. someones mom ? 

dirk slinks off to retexture dukenukem and call it halflife2   sad

#15 2011-01-24 02:13:41

mfrx

/me chuckles :-)

I like to be positive in my old age so I am not going to say anything about the contents of their svn repository ;-)

TBH, I am even more annoyed with them now - not only were they told about DMQ, but they ignored it!

The alpha I did years ago was also missing items and proper weapons ;-)  I am a faster and better coder now thou ;-)

dirk:  Do you use friends?  You are not on my list ;-)

#16 2011-01-24 19:24:29

dirk

your added  smile

#17 2011-02-22 01:34:36

PaRaSiTe

Allegedly they are done with brushwork for DM2/DM6 other than the textures, but they sure failed at doing it right...

F6oKU.jpg

You can walk right through the bars where yellow armor is. No crusher

vJg5A.jpg

Huge spacing issues on staircase

jbXzz.jpg

Have to literally jump over the bars to get to teleport

zrxk9.jpg

Missing RA secret

lbN48.jpg

lec4H.jpg

Missing underground section

BgFsr.jpg

Missing RA wall tunnel

Last edited by PaRaSiTe (2011-02-22 01:35:02)

#18 2011-02-22 11:22:40

mfrx

It is good motivation for us ;-)

I like some of the things they have done - like rounding the internal edges on that last shot.  I don't like the missing RA on DM6 & DM2 secret LOL.  Maybe that is for a "more balanced map" haha.

They obviously have no idea how important the small details are.  The list is pretty much never ending as they have not used the original map sources.  They must be uber 1337 super mutant players to know that these changes will improve the game - I wish I was that good ;-)

#19 2011-02-27 11:18:57

Triggs

Ok few things to get out of the way first. I am Triggs, Project Leader for DMC:S (or atleast I was until recently when I left because of other serious business that needs my full attention.)

Right.

First of all the menu, it is silly. We're waiting on a PROPER replacement and one of our artists made that as a joke. The music is also there as a joke. All of your concerns over gravity and bunny hopping and other physics are going to be fixed.

The current release is actually more of an alpha.

As for all the stuff you guys are pulling out of the SVN, I don't have a problem with it. I intentionally hosted it on google code so that anyone with half a brain could access it at anytime and see whats going on. However by doing that you risk finding things and being unimpressed by unfinished content. If somethings in the SVN that's not in the official release there's a reason for that. Also when we said that we removed the SHAFT because it was buggy and useless, we didn't mean forever. We just meant it was currently horrible and that we'd be readding it in a later update.

The little parts that you're nit picking about with our maps, yeah I don't know what's going on there. I'll be sure to beat the child in my basement who makes them.

Also I really like that fansite. I love how it pulls forum posts and steam announcements.

To conclude, It's a beta/alpha. It's a HUGE WiP and it will become more faithful to the original. It is NOT a mod of HL2DM with custom weapons.

I hope this helps you to understand. smile

I also hope that we and mfrx can come to some sort of agreement to work together.

edit: Oh and mfrx: We have used the original map sources as reference. I'm not quite sure how the designer for those levels missed so much.
edit2: I've since been informed that those maps have actually been fixed. Just not uploaded to our SVN.

Last edited by Triggs (2011-02-27 11:24:30)

#20 2011-02-27 17:34:26

mfrx

Triggs wrote:

First of all the menu, it is silly. We're waiting on a PROPER replacement and one of our artists made that as a joke. The music is also there as a joke.

Then why did you realease it - there have been a few posts regarding trolling - it's just a bad first impression.

Triggs wrote:

All of your concerns over gravity and bunny hopping and other physics are going to be fixed.

Does your team really have the ability to do this?  The replies I got in your forum would suggest not.

Triggs wrote:

The little parts that you're nit picking about with our maps, yeah I don't know what's going on there. I'll be sure to beat the child in my basement who makes them.

If you had a fuller understanding of the game, you would realise that it is not nit picking.  Including things like red armour is quite important ;-)

Triggs wrote:

I also hope that we and mfrx can come to some sort of agreement to work together.

You and Jethrosoup (I had a chat with him yesterday on steam) seem like nice enough people but the rest of your team seem like a bunch of 12 year olds that have no idea about the software development process.
Unfortunatly, you have stated that you have no time for modding and Jethro only codes (like me) so there is no much that you could help with.  If I am wrong, please correct me.

#21 2011-02-28 04:22:19

Triggs

mfrx wrote:

Then why did you realease it - there have been a few posts regarding trolling - it's just a bad first impression.

We released it because we said we'd get something out before new years. I'm a man of my word. So we put out what we had.

mfrx wrote:

Does your team really have the ability to do this?  The replies I got in your forum would suggest not.

Yes. Yes we do. It'd be done by now but our only programmer had to take leave for some other serious business. He's back now obviously

mfrx wrote:

If you had a fuller understanding of the game, you would realise that it is not nit picking.  Including things like red armour is quite important ;-)

Notice how there are no pickups at all. Notice how you spawn with all the weapons. Red armour isn't there because it just hasn't been done yet. We haven't pegged pickups as a main priority yet. We want to sort out weapon balance first.

mfrx wrote:

You and Jethrosoup (I had a chat with him yesterday on steam) seem like nice enough people but the rest of your team seem like a bunch of 12 year olds that have no idea about the software development process.
Unfortunatly, you have stated that you have no time for modding and Jethro only codes (like me) so there is no much that you could help with.  If I am wrong, please correct me.

Just completely ignore anything and everything you hear on that forum unless its said by me or Jethro. I know what you mean by them acting 12 and it bugs the hell out of me all the time. Unfortunately they're all we've got so we have to deal with it.

Edit: Oh yeah, I don't mean I have NO time for modding. But I have such little time that it'd be generally futile to attempt anything.

Last edited by Triggs (2011-02-28 04:27:18)

#22 2012-01-30 02:32:06

fi3nd

Board footer