You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-31 02:31:03

OG_CaRboN

GENTLEMEN

I have a New Years present for you soon. 
It just needs a little item placement changes, texture lighting tweakage and a twice-over.

It has entities in it that don't exist yet in DMQ (/me prods mfrx with a stick) but they won't return bad dialogue or crash servers.
Good for all sizes FFA.  Probably will work for duel.  I will include all files as well as a few different .res files.

Hope to kick the New Year off with a smile. 

This
This
This
This
This
This
This
This right here
This
One of these
This too

meep

#2 2010-12-31 02:38:54

OG_Fireball

Re: GENTLEMEN

Looks great Carb can't wait to give it a run!!!

OG_Fireball

#3 2010-12-31 10:16:03

OG_BeAsT

Hey, it looks good! Hope it activates players...

All the servers run mostly the same maps.
If i play, i mostly ask the players to try out another maps and a lot like it. I would say, a lot of them dont know how much maps exists.

OG_BeAsT

#4 2010-12-31 16:20:01

dirk

yeah  lookin good smile lots of platforms and height changes from the looks of it.will be good to try out summat new.

very modern lookin and graphically pleasing.lack of this is what puts a lot of younger players off.they drop in and think they,ve gone back into the eighties.

dirk

#5 2011-01-01 12:18:46

oRe

Nice looking map carbon! I would really like to play some games on it!

@dirk: Younger players? Most of them are attracted by team-orientated realistic shooter games with superb graphics... Well most of them just care for the latter.

While continue on using the Goldsource-Engine attracting new (younger?!) players might be kinda hard or even impossible... and to be true, there are (too?) many alternatives to DMC/Q when it comes to fast-paced deathmatch shooters... even QuakeWorld got clients which deliver better graphics while having a larger playerbase which is another point why DMC/Q will not attract that many people. That is a kinda vicious cycle: By not having enough players it is hard to attract new/more players...

To get back to topic, are "younger" players really relevant to DMC/Q-mapping and/or -athmosphere?
Well, I do not think so...

Happy New Year & Regards [pFc]oRe

Last edited by oRe (2011-01-01 12:20:37)

#6 2011-01-01 13:26:35

dirk

rofl..i make one small comment and .....

tbh younger players getting dmc free in a bundle are the ONLY new players we can expect to see and maps like this with what looks from the screenshots to have  more of a nexiuz kind of style to it are more likely to make them feel at home.maybe thats what i should have said smile

#7 2011-01-01 19:46:22

OG_CaRboN

I'm pretty sure DMC / DMQ can do really well... it just needs a little TLC and I really believe DMQ is exactly that.  GoldSRC is old, yes.  To be perfectly honest, QW looks awesome with all the 24 bit bells and whistles (and this is from a guy who's working on a DarkPlaces mod) BUT:  It's still Quake, and it's still subject to the brutally basic tendrils of the Quake .qc.   That's the way it is.  You can polish it however you want, it's still Quake (and furthermore - there isn't as high a playerbase as you think; the kitschy appeal wears off for all but 1% of new players, leaving the same old crew).  You can run .md3s and .pk3s on a server, but you will still have an empty server because only a handful of people use engines that support it - leaving you with a very dead and very confused deathmatch scene.  What DMC has is STEAM.  As an admin, you see this - Steam is your baby.  When STEAM hiccups, we pat it on the back and try to find out what's wrong.   We all get our clients from the same source, and they all use the same game.  Being resourceful and making DMQ awesome,  appealing, and available to people and getting the word out should be a priority if you want people to latch onto this mod.  It takes DMC that extra mile.

GoldSRC is old, but it's still miles ahead of what Quake is.  There are eye candy upgrades to HL as well, and all kinds of little things that can work within HL1 (not to mention things that haven't been invented yet)  they just haven't been explored and exploited too deeply with this mod.   

That's just my $.02 and pep-rally for the day.

Last edited by OG_CaRboN (2011-01-01 19:48:11)

meep

#8 2011-01-01 20:11:29

oRe

Carbon: What I wanted to say is just that people nowadays often don't really care for what a game is about... To most of them a game needs to have the best graphics available. Well, that's how it seems to me... I really do like DMC/Q and Graphics is the last I care for in a game...

When I tell people about me playing fast-paced deathmatch games from the beginning of this or the end of the last century, they often just smile and tell me about fancy graphics etc.

They seem to prefer playing games "everyone" is playing...

I would really like to see DMC/Q having a larger player-base, but i doubt it will ever happen again.

Regards oRe

#9 2011-01-01 20:31:08

OG_CaRboN

Ok guys... (and you too, Beast tongue) DMC Cel 2 : Bitstream

Included are map, skies, .res, readme.  I'm done looking at this thing.
If you plan on running it, strongly consider adding the files to download url because at around 5mb, it's a bit chunky.

Any problems, let me know, but I can't find any.  I haven't slept since yesterday morning, so I'm going to stick this on the server and post about it later on my site.    Cheers & Happy New Year.

Last edited by OG_CaRboN (2011-01-01 20:52:48)

meep

#10 2011-01-02 00:22:23

dirk

man , that must have took forever to build.looks the buisness tho 

if u wake in the morning and cannot map it,s because ive telepathically stolen all your mapping ability whilst u were sleeping  smile

#11 2011-01-02 03:20:33

OG_Fireball

Great map Carbon!! it has a good flow to it and I like the item placements.

OG_Fireball

#12 2011-01-02 04:06:10

OG_CaRboN

Thanks, FB.  big_smile

I had to re up the zip file with an edit to the readme.  I fatfingered 2 GL into it instead of 1. 
The map only has the 1 grenade launcher wink  This is why I shouldn't make rambling readme.txt files hitting the 65 hour - no sleep mark.

Fireball, I know you don't run the powerups on your servers... I can give you the func_wall location for the midair shelf I put the pent on (it killtargets itself on playerjoin)  sometime if you ever want to stick something else up there to fetch with a rocket jump.

If there are people I don't have on MSN, you can hit me up on Steam for that info anytime if I'm around.  smile

Last edited by OG_CaRboN (2011-01-02 04:21:24)

meep

#13 2011-01-02 15:34:59

dirk

wtf is a killtarget.i need to know all this stuff.only been doin it for 2 weeks and i feel like i live in my pc already.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=m83h5i&s=7

hmm  i changed provider and lost my webspace  sad

Last edited by dirk (2011-01-02 15:37:22)

#14 2011-01-02 16:16:18

mfrx

Looks good mate!

I've put it on the map rotation for the rune server.

I've also changed the rotation to use the dmq_* maps that pix did.  You can grab them from http://dmq.geeky.cc/Textures.aspx.

#15 2011-01-02 17:10:34

OG_Fireball

OG_CaRboN wrote:

Thanks, FB.  big_smile

Fireball, I know you don't run the powerups on your servers... I can give you the func_wall location for the midair shelf I put the pent on (it killtargets itself on playerjoin)  sometime if you ever want to stick something else up there to fetch with a rocket jump.

That would be great thanks. I have turned on powerups on East Coast DMQ for now. I have changed the map rotation and added alot of different maps and decieded to turn on powerups to see how it goes. I changed the regeneration times so they do not generate as much and duration times so the do not last as long. I also increased the SSG shot to incease the damage done.

OG_Fireball

#16 2011-01-04 08:39:52

OG_CaRboN

dirk wrote:

wtf is a killtarget.i need to know all this stuff.only been doin it for 2 weeks and i feel like i live in my pc already.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=m83h5i&s=7

hmm  i changed provider and lost my webspace  sad

See, this is what I appreciate about you, Dirky.  You put a waste bin AND an ashtray in there.  One of my pet peeves is people using my god damned ashtray as their personal trash receptacle for candy wrappers, gum, etc.  I wonder how they'd like it if I just started flicking my lit cigarettes in their garbage can?

meep

#17 2011-01-04 15:10:09

mfrx

hehe, now that we have a smoking ban, the pubs don't have ashtrays OR bins...

Floor or table - it's your choice!

#18 2011-01-04 19:48:47

dirk

we only get a collection twice a month so i usually fill my bin after a week then start on my neighbours smile

#19 2011-01-11 23:36:54

eejot

hehe twice a month dirk lol, where do you live, the scottish highlands big_smile,,,,,,,,,,,,noo we can only get the trook oop the moontain twice a moonth wee laddy........................:)

AKA -=[BaF]edge=- Dont be fooled by my Burger King crown, I is proper Royalty me !!

Board footer