You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-16 19:55:33

mfrx

DMQ3

I have recently got DMQ compiling & running again.

I would like to get a couple of things finished including Linux builds and a working menu.

Carbon had the idea of including armour shards in the game.  IMO, this could be interesting, but would require a new mode - not just cvars.  We could have "DMQ3 : FFA" and "DMQ3 : Q3" so that people know what to expect.

Does anyone have any other ideas or requests?

Don't forget that you can add and vote for stuff here: http://dmq.geeky.cc/Requests.aspx but a reply will be fine ;-)

EDIT: I nearly forgot - DMC server admins - why don't you run DMQ?  Is it because you want to stay traditional, or something else?

Last edited by mfrx (2010-12-16 19:58:12)

#2 2010-12-16 20:43:26

OG_CaRboN

Re: DMQ3

mfrx wrote:

DMC server admins - why don't you run DMQ?  Is it because you want to stay traditional, or something else?

They fear teh bunnies!  Raaaahr!  =:D

meep

#3 2010-12-17 14:58:21

Pix

A few things I never got around to are:-

Adding the ability for the client to swap modes between dmc & dmq so that you don't get the dodgy prediction on dmc servers. This has always bugged me, especially when you click jump fractionally early and get snapped back half a second later.

It's been mentioned to me that we could do with a clock on screen all the time for duels. I didn't do this at the time because it used bandwidth. This might not matter now we aren't all on dial-up, or it could be moved to the client.

Fix the scoring on midair - i.e. more height=more points

I'd quite like some sort of opt-in handicap scheme. This would be like a rune effect where you'd do half damage or something similar. It would probably need half-ammo use as well to make maps like dm6 still playable. If we had this it might mean we could go on a ffa server and not clear it within 2 minutes every time.

I don't mind helping out if you will release the current source code by the way. Failing that I'm happy to sit back and let you do all the work.

#4 2010-12-17 20:12:49

Rob
Administrator

mfrx wrote:

EDIT: I nearly forgot - DMC server admins - why don't you run DMQ?  Is it because you want to stay traditional, or something else?

For me, it's the lack of Linux support - my host runs on Linux, and I've been thinking of changing, but  just haven't quite got round to it. I'd love to run DMQ, though.

It's been a while since I played Q3, so remind me - what do armour shards do? Are they just like tiny little mini armourettes?

A handicap system could be cool too; maybe something dynamic where the damage you take is increased once you get above a certain K:D ratio. Although that might not work if you get two good players on one server who are about equally matched, but much better than everyone else.

#5 2010-12-17 20:50:11

OG_CaRboN

Rob, armor shards are little spinny bits that add 10 to the armor count, like Q2 and Q3 have.  I have working code that I've made for a Quake mod that should be easy to integrate into it, and models that can convert to HL models / sounds etc.  Adding them to existing maps would have to be done via Stripper2 and .str files, since their entity names don't exist yet within DMC. 

At any rate, I have a bunch of other code from out of this mod you guys are welcome to peruse if you want to use any of it...

meep

#6 2010-12-17 23:31:27

eejot

Hi
Yeah like the idea of the armour shards and also the timer countdown in duel, on the dmq over dmc argument, i think it's time to move on and if we want to see this game get anywhere dmq is the only way to go, i have stopped the BaF 101 dmc server and i'm converting it to dmq also.

Rob i'm now hosting with www.uk-game.com who run windows based servers for hldm at reasonable rates so maybe check it out.

One other thing on dmq, it would be nice to get spec to default to first person mode in duel, just one of those small niggles.

what would also be nice imho is to give some of the more humble weapons a bit more oomph as the only time someone other than a noob uses the shotgun it's to open a door wink this would also attract more ppl who just see dmc dmq as a two weapon game RL LG and get bored very quickly.

anyhow good luck with the number crunching......eej

AKA -=[BaF]edge=- Dont be fooled by my Burger King crown, I is proper Royalty me !!

#7 2010-12-18 00:46:20

mfrx

An idea is forming...

We have a new mode: DMQ : Noob (but with a nicer name).
SG, SSG, NG, and SNG do more damage - say 150% over current.
Armour shards are present - down to carb on placement, the code should be easy enough.
Damage given reduces based on current map K/D (not historical - it's a PITA to do).  Not sure how this should be done.  Assume max of 5 kpd and each extra reduces dmg by same %? So if kpd = 2 then dmg = 80%, if kpd = 3 then dmg = 60%?

Pix: I don't mind either way.  I could set up a public svn server, then it would be easy for us both to do stuff.

The code now compiles in VS2010 and MingW (via QT) but I can't get the server to run using a make file, once I can, over to linux :-)  thats the theory anyway!

#8 2010-12-18 18:54:14

OG_Fireball

This is great!!
I think armor shards would be really nice to have. I also agree about stregnthening other wepons.

If you do add the damage adjustments based on kpd I would like to see the ability to disable it or enable both in the config and if the admin chooses with your vote plugin.

I would be glad to offer up one of the hosted servers for testing. I can always grant people access to the server for testing and I can move it to London, Frankford or Amsterdam if that would help.

OG_Fireball

#9 2010-12-18 19:16:23

dirk

ok   

i,m gonna get shot down here i recon but ive gotta say it. just tryin to find right words cos theres too many ways to offend peeps who have put too many hours into dmc.me being one of em.

if ure gonna get interested in playing with the code again why not mess about with the dmq:s code and see if u can get that better.i wasnt here so i dont know how it was at the time with peeps not being interested in helping and u know i cant code   but i,m willing to learn anything else if it helps.  how u spend your time is up to u but this mod will never get back to it,s heyday sad  and  .....well  thats about all i can think of to say.

dirk puts kevlar vest on smile

Last edited by dirk (2010-12-18 19:17:15)

#10 2010-12-18 22:18:11

OG_CaRboN

dirk wrote:

but this mod will never get back to it,s heyday sad  and  .....well  thats about all i can think of to say.

dirk puts kevlar vest on smile

I think it can.  What it lacks right now is cohesion and that's due to a few things.  There is no real support in the form of websites and especially since the demise of DMC-Central and PDMC.  There haven't been a lot of developments in the form of maps and support media in the last few years, and the DMQ code hasn't been touched in awhile. 

This isn't really a big deal.  This game has been through far worse.

The best thing right now is to get it back on track, and it sounds like the new site Nextgen's working on will be integral in doing that.  Free-Fall's download section is still afaik operational, the geeky DMQ site is working,  Fireball's site is still there.  I'll be putting a dl section on the new site soon, and if we all link to each other there's a good chance people will be able to find things easier.

DMC became really expansive with the addition of DMQ, but it didn't get pushed into the spotlight enough to capture a lot of fanfare.  That's not really anyone's fault, it's just the way that things happened, and the game seemed to be winding down.  IMO a full client release with all the bells and whistles is what's needed to get it done, but that's easy for me to say because I'm not doing all the groundwork (just some of the whistles).  The issue with moving forward into Source territory is that this community lacks the people to get it done.  That's a whole different undertaking because it's starting from scratch with no maps, no weapons, or anything else.  How many people that play DMC anymore can effectively crank out 10 - 20 DM Source maps in a year, or come up with weapon models, all the material files, code, etc?   It's mind boggling.

No need for the kevlar, m8 but have a pint. big_smile

meep

#11 2010-12-18 23:03:15

dirk

ok

maybe i,m just hoping and overreacting.

i,m halfway throo rebuilding dm2 ,just about to texture it ,to look how it should of. i always thought valve made a mess of it.

i,m doing it just to learn how to map but i,ll proberly stick it on a server somewhere.and i visited the geekycc site and spotted the dmq.s download and thought   hmmm   my map would look so lovely   then i came on here and read that coding is going on and it all mixes together in my head and i get these visions of all this lovelly stuff thats possible.

i,ll go rest now and do my map.

Last edited by dirk (2010-12-18 23:03:48)

#12 2010-12-18 23:55:58

mfrx

Hey dirk & Fireball - good to see you're still about!

TBH, the only reason I have gone anywhere near the code is because there are a few things still on my list.  Just want to get it finished really ;-)

I would be very surprised if we get any amount of new players.  Kids don't buy old games.

Regarding DMQ:S, I would still like to see it live.  The problem was (is?) as carbon mentioned, the amount of resources required is crazy.  There are people working on DMC:Source atm, but as far as I can see, they are just remodeling.  There is no mention of improved physics or gamemodes.  There is not even a coder listed as part of their team! (http://www.moddb.com/company/dmcs-devs/members).

Without wanting to start a flamewar or anything (I don't know any of the team) but as I don't know any of them, and one of them rage quit on me (lol), I wouldn't be letting them have my code ;-)

I think Fireball is wrong (sry m8!) with the ability to toggle KPD damage - I think it should either be part of the new mode, or not.  It could be very confusing for players.

If people are serious about creating an up-to-date version of DMC/QW, then the best way to approach it IMHO, would be to jump on a nice shiny new game engine.  Off the top of my head I'm thinking CryEngine3 (ideally distributed via steam).  This would mean that new players could actually find the mod - I very much doubt that a player would buy a game in order to play a mod.  I would be happy to write the code, but that is a tiny part of a game - the big issue (esp on newer engines) is the huge amount of detail that is required.  See this for what I mean: http://www.moddb.com/engines/cryengine-3

/end waffle

#13 2010-12-19 12:41:53

dirk

hmm   hi mfrx smile

i guess hl2 is getting kind of long in the tooth now.ive just spent 3 years learnin maths as applied to electronics.if i,d spent it learnin coding i could proberly of helped out with something like that but there u go smile

had a look at them links and i agree with one thing.i always thought it was funny that players who didnt play dmc would suddenly appear from nowhere and claim to be updating it.never going to happen.cryengine3 looks posh tho.gonna go have a mouch around ,maybe even learn summat new now i,m out of college again

woot smile

#14 2010-12-19 16:22:38

OG_Fireball

I have been keeping an eye on the DMC:S site for sometime to see if they pull it off. The models look very nice but as everyone else has said they are not looking at physics and gamemodes.

Dirk I don't think you said anything any of us has not also thought of but as Carbon said if we can get a central site for support and some cohesion we just might get more new people staying around.

NP m8 on disagreeing with the toggle KPD damage. My only thought was this is perfect for FFA public servers so maybe it would help not run off the newcomers because they are over whelmed by someone with skill but when we get a lot of skilled players on the same server (I can dream) then it would be nice to turn it off. I would rather play the skilled players straight up even if it means being totally dominated by them because that is the only way to get better.

Just my $0.02

OG_Fireball

#15 2010-12-19 16:39:09

[pFc]Nextgen
Website

What I think is why the dev team of DMC: S does not want to make the "gameplay" but as "graphic"? Why not talk to them and make changes by working together? I think it would be best for the community of DMC.

The best is to create a gameplay as "Fortress Forever mod" is like Team Fortress Classic mod 1 but Source. it would be preferable to create the same thing I think DMC.

Last edited by [pFc]Nextgen (2010-12-19 17:50:36)

#16 2010-12-19 17:51:57

mfrx

Fireball: I understand what you mean, my thinking was that you can normally run a server in Noob mode (Maybe call it Fun Mode?), but then change it to FFA if required ;-)

Nextgen:  My thinking was I would wait and see what they actually manage to do.

#17 2010-12-19 19:12:04

dirk

smile  just played on the rune server.  speed boost was fun and i kept running out of rocks with the rapid fire rune  smile

cool 

ohh  btw     i just saw the dmq hi-res graphics for the first time lol.never had a quality card beforeto use the needed setting. .they look a lot better quality.i still think i should have ploughed on and rebuilt all the maps with better textures 5 years back.just another of those lack of community feedback things...i might do a few for summat to do.

Last edited by dirk (2010-12-19 19:25:43)

#18 2010-12-19 21:19:26

mfrx

hehe dirk, yeah the textures are pretty sweet.  Especially on the dmq_ maps ;-)

Board footer